Featured Healthcare

Marijuana-laced gummy ring candies caused 19 people to visit hospital in San Francisco

San Francisco Public Health Department announced Monday that THC mixed gummy ring candies sickened 19 guests at a birthday party on Saturday night.

12 of the 19 people hospitalized had THC, tetrahydrocannabinol, in their systems, said Spokeswoman Rachel Kagan. She added that the final lab tests on the gummy ring candies have not yet come back from Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital. A dozen patients were tested positive for the main psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, THC. Investigators are still finding the source of these candies.

Health officials said that all of the 19 patients were discharged by Monday morning. According to the doctors the patients were from age of 6 to 18 years. But they are not sure if the birthday girl was a patient or not.

Dr. Tomas Aragon said, after having the candies, the symptoms were rapid heart rates, high blood pressure, dilated pupils, dizziness, light-headedness, nausea, lethargy and confusion. “The question remains, where did the candies come from?” said Aragon. “We are working with the catering company and our colleagues in Alameda to find out.” It may be the case that some guest brought the candies to the party.

It was found that the food was from La Placita, a community kitchen in Oakland.  Alameda County Health Department’s officials inspected the kitchen and did not find any evidence of marijuana.

Aragon advised people to be very careful with “edibles,” especially with the bright-colored candies which may contain drugs and passed around at parties where children and teenagers are in a large number. Such candies are often attractive.

“A situation like this, where they were consumed by unsuspecting people, and many children, is greatly concerning,” Aragon said.

Security guard Raul Hernandez described how the party got chaotic and people got violently ill. He called 911 and narrated how scary it was. Some guests started vomiting, sweating and some left foaming at the mouth. “These are innocent kids. They see a candy, they eat it,” Hernandez said. “I had 21 years old who was gasping for air she could not speak,” said Hernandez.

Event coordinator Olivia Herrera said the family and the management is still shocked how marijuana edibles ended up inside. “There was a lot of planning that went into event and I think right now they are trying to process everything that happened and sort of the severity of it,” said Herrera.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *